Today, Upstart released their first quarterly earnings since their IPO in December. And it was a very strong quarter indeed. Analysts were expecting $73.5 million in revenue for the quarter but Upstart delivered $86.7 million. What was particularly impressive is that this was also up significantly from the Q4 2019. It seems that the pandemic has been little more than a speed bump for the company, unlike many other online lenders.
The above graphic shows some of the highlights from their Q4 2020 number and below are highlights from the 2020 calendar year:
- Revenue. Fiscal year 2020 total revenue was $233.4 million, an increase of 42% year-over-year. Total fee revenue was $228.6 million, an increase of 43% year-over-year.
- Lending Volume and Conversion Rate. Bank partners originated 300,379 loans across our platform in 2020, up 40% year-over-year. Conversion on rate requests was 15.2% in 2020, up from 13.1% in the prior year.
- Income from Operations. Fiscal year 2020 income from operations was $11.8 million, an increase of 357% year-over-year.
- Net Income and EPS. For the fiscal year 2020, GAAP net income was $6.0 million and adjusted net income was $17.5 million. Accordingly, GAAP diluted net income per share was $0.00, and diluted adjusted net income per share was $0.23 based on the weighted-average common shares outstanding during the period. In the fiscal year 2019, GAAP net loss was $0.5 million and adjusted net income was $3.3 million.
- Contribution Profit. Fiscal year 2020 contribution profit totaled $105.1 million, or 46% contribution margin, compared to $48.9 million, or 31% contribution margin in fiscal year 2019. Contribution profit grew 115% year-over-year.
- Adjusted EBITDA. Fiscal year 2020 adjusted EBITDA totaled $31.5 million, which represents a 463% year-over-year increase compared to a fiscal year 2019 adjusted EBITDA of $5.6 million. The fiscal year 2020 adjusted EBITDA margin was 13% of total revenue, and the adjusted EBITDA margin was 3% in the fiscal year 2019.