[Update: There will be a webinar at 11am ET on September 27 on the The Orchard Deals Platform brought to you by LendIt and Crowdfund Insider. Details here.]
When I first invited Orchard Platform CEO, Matt Burton, on the Lend Academy Podcast back in 2014, we talked about their ambitions around launching an institutional secondary market for marketplace lending. It has proven to be a massive undertaking and it has taken several years longer than anticipated but with the launch of Orchard Deals today it has now become a reality.
To be clear, Orchard’s new platform is far more than just a secondary market. It has several new features:
- Deals – Pre-qualified investors can browse listings of a range of different investment opportunities offered by originators.
- Capital Management – For originators to help monitor and optimize capital utilization across multiple funding sources.
- Advanced Analytics – Benchmarking of performance data against an anonymized peer group.
- Data Services – Helping originators improve the quality of their data and client reporting.
- News & Insights – Industry news and economic data as well as Orchard’s own research and commentary.
I spoke at length with Orchard CEO, Matt Burton, yesterday to get more insight into the new Orchard Platform. The first thing that Matt stressed is that the entire Orchard Platform has been redesigned from the ground up and is a far more robust product than anything they have had before.
The New Orchard Deals Platform
The key piece that I was interested in was the new Orchard Deals platform. The old Orchard Platform provided technology solutions for both originators and institutional investors but Deals is the piece that finally connects the dots. The platform connects institutional investors with origination platforms that have listed specific investment opportunities. Orchard has 55 institutional investors registered on their platform and 25 originators (with several more in the queue). Originators cover the gamut of consumer, small business and real estate lending.