I first corresponded with Bryce Mason about two years ago; he reached out to me soon after he developed his credit model for investing in Lending Club. He was one of the first people to do a rigorous statistical analysis of completed Lending Club loans. He produced an interesting chart on default rates that I shared in early 2012. Bryce has also written a couple of guest posts on Lend Academy this year.
He is the founder of the P2P Picks credit modeling site which he describes as “the power of a hedge fund for your p2p portfolio”. In this third session of the Lend Academy Podcast I talked with Bryce about his site, his credit models, where is taking his business and much more.
In this podcast you will learn:
- Bryce’s background and how it has enabled him to develop sophisticated investing models.
- Why he loved p2p lending when he first heard about it in the very early days of Prosper.
- Why he feels more confident about p2p lending than his other investments.
- How his approach is different from simple filtering of loans.
- What he thinks of external macroeconomic data sources.
- Why he believes that P2P Picks is helpful for all individual investors.
- How the algorithm adjusts for changes in underwriting policies.
- How often he updates his credit model and what changes with each new iteration.
- How much of an improvement the P2P Picks credit model gives above the average.
- The number of subscribers that are using P2P Picks to invest.
- Details of the new P2P Picks API and the honor system he has created.
- What Bryce is doing for his institutional clients.
- What is coming down the road with P2P Picks in 2014.
- When the Prosper model is going to be available.
- What P2P Picks has in common with a major rating agency liked Moody’s.
Bryce’s site is P2P-Picks.com and you can sign up there for free today to take advantage of the picks generated by his credit models.