We have a very special guest for the 20th edition of the Lend Academy Podcast: Renaud Laplanche, the CEO and founder of Lending Club. I first met Renaud in the spring of 2011 just after Lending Club moved from Redwood City to downtown San Francisco. In those days Lending Club had about 50 people and a lot of extra space on the one floor they leased in that building. Back then, Lending Club was a company with a lot of potential and today they are realizing some of that potential.
Recently I was able to sit down with Renaud for 30 minutes to conduct this wide ranging interview. In this podcast you will learn:
- How Renaud came up with the name Lending Club.
- When he first realized that Lending Club was likely going to be a success.
- What a typical work day looks like for him today.
- What the four key metrics for Lending Club are that Renaud looks at on a regular basis.
- How Lending Club has been able to grow so consistently now for many years.
- How the hiring needs have changed at Lending Club over the years.
- Why Renaud believes it is going to be hard for any investor to beat the averages based on the risk they are taking.
- Why investors needs to be careful when analyzing the historical data to make investment decisions.
- The way that Lending Club thinks about the setting of interest rates.
- The status of the partnership with Union Bank.
- An update on the relationship between Lending Club and Google.
- Why Renaud is very excited about Lending Club’s small business lending operation.
- The possibility for average investors to participate in the Lending Club IPO.
- The role of Lending Club in the future of the broader banking industry.
I have had a few requests from readers for transcripts of these interviews, so starting with this episode every edition of the Lend Academy Podcast will come with the full transcription in a PDF document. Just click on the link below.